View more news videos at: http://www.nbcdfw.com/video.
Our own OC Gardener and a website contributor, Andrea Bithell, was recently apart of a follow up story by NBC 5 News. Check out it out above!
If you’ve been a victim of plant theft, please go to our Report Plant Theft and post the details in order for us to help the DPD track these crimes.
According to the Garden Manager, Andrea, at the popular Smoke Restaurant three peach trees and four blackberry bushes were stolen from the garden on Monday night that had just been planted. Seems like the thieves might have used a missing wheel barrow to quickly haul away their stash, most likely using them in their own backyards or selling them to the Farmers Market.
According to one of our members, stolen landscaping goods (like pots, etc) and new plantings are stolen this time of year when they are most available and easy to steal. Here are a few tips that may help deter a potential thief (got these from a police website in the UK, but they still apply here):
- Put away all tools and equipment and ensure that all outside sheds and storage are securely locked when not in use.
- Use plant protection – such as thorny shrubs.
- Install outside security lighting which comes on automatically.
- If you have a burglar alarm, extend it to cover your storage area
- Photograph valuable garden plants or ornaments.
- Mark your property with your zip code. This makes stolen property easier to trace and it can be positively identified as yours.
- Check that your household insurance policy covers theft from your garden and storage buildings.
- If you have a local Neighborhood Watch Program, join